When and Where We Meet
Creative Options meets at Central Baptist Church, Devonshire Road, Polygon, Southampton,SO15 2GY and at West Itchen Community Trust , The Ropewalk Centre, 53 Derby Road, Southampton, SO140DJ
Mondays for Internet cafe/drop-in and fortnightly photography group 11 – 1 p.m. Is held at the Ropewalk Centre, £2.00 plus snack bar ‘with a song in mind’ free of charge at Central Baptist Church at 2 p.m. in the afternoon.
Wednesday drop-in at Central Baptist Church 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.- variety of activities, tea and chat, snack bar – monthly groups with floristry, sewing, card-making and bi-monthly ‘wellbeing Wednesdays’ – relaxation, massage, making smoothies etc., and bi-monthly dance activities -£2.00 drop in fee, plus snack bar and cost of activities – see current programme.
Fridays – ‘Creative Options’ at Central Baptist Church – confidence building and social skills courses, art and baking – see programme for details.
There is an attendance fee of £2.00, to cover room hire costs for most activities. This includes a first drink free – other drinks are charged per cup at 30p for coffee, 20p for tea, squash and water.
What We Do
Our activities include :-
I.T. suite, crafts, games, tea and chat and snack bar.
First Attendance – ‘taster’ session free of charge including tea/coffee.
Weekly attendance fee £2.00 including first drink – other drinks charged per cup 30p coffee, 20p tea, squash and water.
- 1st and 3rd Wednesday in every month, Support Group (A5 Flyer leaflet) at 1 p.m. (talking about self-help strategies and maintaining personal wellbeing).
- 2nd Wednesday in every month, “Make ‘n‘ Mend” Group (A5 Flyer leaflet) with knitting, crochet, sewing, d.i.y., repairs, upcycling crafts, etc. At 1 p.m., ‘With a Song in Mind’ Singing and Music Group.
- 3rd Wednesday in every month, art with the Arty Farty Group (A5 Flyer leaflet).
- 4th Wednesday at 11 a.m., creative writing for 1 hour followed by our “Cook‘n‘ Eat” Club (A5 Flyer leaflet), providing a shared two-course meal for £5.00 including attendance fee.
– WRAP : Wellness Recovery Action Programme. WRAP Development Group.
– Cookery on a Budget: Healthy Eating Club, and Baking Club, once a month, coming in September.
– Fortnightly meeting with Bev’s ‘Bits ‘n’ Bobs’, knitting and crochet tuition, which will be arranged by Bev (bev.bitsandbobs[-at-]gmail.com).
Why We Exist
‘Creative Options’ is a community based project aimed at providing support, encouragement, mentoring, training and opportunities to people with diagnosed mental health issues and others experiencing psychological and emotional distress living in the community.
The main ethos of ‘creative options’ is that it is to be service-user led and driven. The purpose of setting up the project is not only to provide support and mentoring, but real opportunities for those experiencing mental health issues to use their many gifts and skills and to provide training. The purpose is eventually to form social enterprise(s) which will create profit from the activities engaged in and plough those profits back into the project for the benefit of all. It is hoped that people will be able to gain real skills and training and gain in personal confidence and self-esteem and go onto other work; either in the voluntary sector or eventually paid work.
The main purpose of ‘creative options’ is to use community based facilities to provide a space whereby people with mental health issues can come together to provide friendship and mutual encouragement and support. Activities which are undertaken will be based on the needs and wishes of those who participate. A committee will eventually be formed from service user participants and volunteers who will develop a constitution based on the agreed aims for each drop–in centre/workshop facility. The committee will work together to develop each centre. Through the committee people will be able to gain skills in learning how to work together and learn specific skills like minute taking, book-keeping, secretarial work and other skills.
“Tasty Options Bakin’ Company” is our new Social Enterprise where we aim to give people training and opportunities.